The important points which should be seen for satisfactory installation are:
- The working drawing showing the lift shaft and machine room details should be forwarded to the firm for the preparation of general arrangement drawing. The existing site dimensions of lift shaft, pit and machine room (if constructed ) should also be forwarded.
- After the receipt of the General arrangement drawing, the same should be forwarded to the concerned civil engineer for casting the machine room slab with necessary cutout and for doing other civil works like making the landing entrances, provision of door sill, provision of machine lifting hooks and trap door etc. The casting of the floor slab above the lift shaft in the machine room shall be done only after getting the drawing from the manufacturer.
- The machine room floor slab shall be capable of sustaining a uniformly distributed load of 1000 kg/m² in addition to point loads at mounting pedestal. These loads do not include the dead weight of the floor slab. The floor shall be RCC.
- After machine room and its floor slab are constructed, the firm should be intimated for putting the scaffolding and make positions for landing push button boxes and car position indicators on the various landings.
- The reinforcement bars in the floors should be left exposed for holding the same with the reinforcement bars of the machine foundation and foundation of buffers in the lift pit.
- It should be seen that lift well is plumb, and there are no projections or depressions in that and that the dimension is even throughout the lift well, otherwise chipping is to be done which will give bad appearance. The lift wall may be made from 230 mm brick.
- A 75 mm inside sill in the lift well should be provided to support the landing door.
- Suitable water proofing should be done at the bottom of the pit. Pit floor should sustain the normal reaction of guides and buffer blocks.
- Ventilators in the machine room should be such that rainwater, and entry of birds, lizards etc is not possible. Suitable exhaust fans to be provided. It should be ensured that temperature of machine room do not exceed 50 °C.
- Trap door location is advisable at a place below which preferably no human movement is there.
- In the machine room TPN SFU with earth leakage protection for equipment and suitable MCB / switches for lights / fans shall be provided. Power point should be available for using power tools. Proper earthing should be provided.
- Lintels may be casted above a height of 2100 mm for door opening on all the floors.
- Service pipes, ventilating ducts and external power cables / conduits other than those required for lift operation, should not run through lift well.
A typical elevation of lift well is as below:
When the lift installation is complete, intimation should be given to the lift inspector for inspecting the lift. During such inspection, the inspector checks the lift from safety point of view. Specific points relating to the vibrations, leveling and noise in door operation should be checked.
Weight equivalent to the rated car capacity are placed in the car and speed is checked, allowing for acceleration and retardation. Full speed shall be checked on both upwards and downwards journeys and the same should not vary by more than 15 %. Acceleration and retardation are checked with the minimum and maximum loads in the car to see that it is smooth and even under both the conditions and in both directions of travel. All the safety and protective devices should be got tested for faultless operation. Ride in the car and observe if there is any objectionable side or end play due to incorrectly adjusted guide shoe. With full load in the car, observe the starting kick and running current and check this with the rating plate of the motor. Check the running of the car for any excessive noise or vibration. After running the car for considerable length of time (say 2 km), immediately switch off the current and observe the temperature of all the bearings, gears, motors and controller brakes etc.