Table of Contents
The fire detection, alarm and fire fighting equipment shall be kept in good working order at all times and maintenance schedule of the system should be drawn up by the maintenance unit and circulated to all the concerned for proper monitoring and execution. Fire safety officer shall be responsible for proper monitoring of the fire detection and fire fighting system and its general cleanliness.
A log book to record inspection notes, details of replacements, modifications, abnormal behaviour observed, corrective measures taken etc. should be maintained. No maintenance is complete without proper record and logbooks.
While replacing component parts, it should be ensured that only the correct component specified by manufacturer or equivalent are used.
Sufficient quantity of refills (wherever applicable) for the extinguishers shall be stored.
Fire Detection System
- Check working of system from the control panel.
- Check each zone for short or open, healthy circuit.
- Check working of the lamps.
- Check working of the P.A. system (microphones, speakers, amplifiers etc.).
- Check battery charging - ensure that it is on trickle charging position.
- Check specific gravity of electrolyte and its level. The specific gravity should be more than 1180.
- Check operation of all alarms /sounder in zonal control panel.
- Check talkback operation from both ends.
- Check working of fire telephone.
- Functional test of control panels.
- Check operation of detectors by creating artificial heat/ smoke at one place.
- Check operation of response indicators.
- Check operation of manual call point by removing the glass.
- Cleaning of detectors.
- Check the entire system for its healthiness.
- Tightening of loose connection if any in the main / zonal control panels.
- Painting of the main panel / zonal panel / battery boxes.
Testing: Detailed testing of the installation shall be done once in a year to find out capacity and efficiency of various equipment with respect to their rating. The testing procedure shall be same as adopted at the time of original testing.
Fire Fighting System
- Check whether pump develops required pressure.
- Check automatic operation of the system by drop of pressure.
- Check working of instruments, indication lamps and selector switches on the panel.
- Check that rubber mats are laid properly in front of panel.
- Check fuel level in the diesel tank.
- Check battery voltage of the stand by engine.
- Check specific gravity and level of electrolyte. (> 1180)
- Check availability of fire extinguisher as per norms.
- Check fire buckets filled with sand / water.
- Check water pressure at the terrace level (It should not be less than 3.5 kg/cm²).
- Check water availability in the underground tank.
- Check for fullness of fire extinguishers by weighing or lifting. If weight of cylinder / cartridge is less by 10 %, the cylinder/cartridge should be for refilled/replaced.
- Check operation of fire extinguishers and do routine inspection, maintenance and testing.
- Check working of gate valves.
- Check air filter / oil filter of the standby generator.
- Check belt tension.
- Check the chart for due maintenance of engine and alternator.
- Hydrant mains shall be tested once a fortnight for its satisfactory operation.
- Organise fire drill.
- Cleaning and polishing of exterior of fire extinguisher.
- Check the fire entinguisher nozzle outlet and vent holes as well as the threaded portion of the cap for clogging, and check that plunger is clean and moving freely.
- Cleaning of bus bars in the panel.
- Earth testing and meggering.
- Relay and other protection devices in the panel.
- Check hose reels, nozzles, hose pipe for their healthiness.
- Hydraulic pressure testing of at least one-third of fire extinguishers, by rotation.
Refilling / Operational or Discharge test of fire extinguishers by rotation. The refilling / operational test schedule is:
Once in two years:
Water (stored pressure) type, mechanical foam (stored pressure) type, and 135 litre fire engine, foam type.
Once in three years:
BC and ABC dry powder type.
Once in five years:
Water (gas cartridge) type, mechanical foam (gas cartridge) type, CO2 type, higher capacity dry powder (trolley mounted) type, dry powder for metal fire, and clean agent type.
- Complete cleaning of extinguishers not due for refilling / discharge test except for CO2 and clean agent type, whose weight and pressure is to be checked.
- Check and test hose of all higher capacity CO2 and dry powder type extinguishers equipped with shut-off nozzle.
- Painting of panel, ring main, hydrant boxes etc.
- Check working of the complete system and organise fire drill in coordination with building authorities.
All the existingushers should have indication of last refilling and hydraulic testing.