The digitization of information technology allows vast amount of data to share the same communication channel and thus remote monitoring of various electrical installation can be done from a distant station by digitizing the parameters and communicating them. This can result in a lot of savings as any major breakdown can be averted and also maintenance and operator costs can be reduced.
The automatic operation and monitoring of EA set can be done by incorporating Generator Control Unit (GCU) and communication port in the EA set control panel and the digitized data can be transmitted to the distant station via telephone lines. A number of EA sets can be controlled / monitored from a central station. Fir this purpose hardware and software is required:
Hardware / software required at site:
- Interfacing unit to connect GCU and telephone lines.
- Power supply suitable for interfacing unit.
- Cabling from GCU to interfacing unit.
Hardware/Software required at the monitoring station:
- Software to operate and monitor the EA set operating parameters as monitored by GCU, display input/output status, alarm and features to dial up the site and enable remote connectivity.
- Modem (minimum 33.6 kbps) specially configured to enable connectivity to site interfacing unit and PC software.
- Cabling to interface modem and PC.
- PC with communication port.
The general layout of the scheme is given below:
At Monitoring Station:
- Install the specially designed software to suit the GCU in the PC. The software should be self-regenerating and it generates the icons for use.
- After software installation, close the set up and switch off the PC.
- Connect the modem to the communication port 2.
- Restart the PC and check the modem operation.
- Open the remote monitoring software and check the tele-link dialing through software.
- On dialing and connection to the numbered dialed is OK, the installation at monitoring station is complete.
- Connect the interfacing unit and power supply to the unit.
- Connect the GCU and telephone line to the interfacing unit through wires.
- Insure that the power supply to the interfacing unit is always ON even when the EA set is not running.
- Check the interfacing unit.
The following operations can be done at the monitoring station:
- Manual stating/stopping of the EA set.
Monitoring of general parameters such as:
- Engine speed.
- Engine running hours.
- Oil pressure status.
- Cylinder head/water temperature.
- Battery Voltage.
- Indication of various major and minor faults.
- Mains supply status.